Informatie gezocht

schilder J de Groot

Gepost door Albert de Boer 
Steun de Museumserver en help ons deze dienst in de lucht te houden. Ziet u geen advertenties of blokkeert u de Adsense Cookies, overweeg dan een donatie. Dank!

• schilder J de Groot

09 mei 2002 00:10
    I have a painting, done in oil on canvass, and is signed J (or I) de Groot..
    It measures roughly 34 cm by 29,5 cm.
    It shows a woman sitting on a chair holding a small book with both hands and resting in her lap.
    A cat sits on the floor in front of her. Both have their eyes closed as if they have falling asleep. Light is coming from a small window in front of the woman., A tall woven basket stands behind her, to which a thick rope on both ends is attached, apparently for carrying the large basket.
    On her head she has a simple white covering with the side corners turned up. Somewhat like Zeews or Zuid- Hollands. It looks like every day, through the week, wear. No jewelry is showing, may be a pin to hold the headgear, but that is not clear.
    Her upper garment is red with three quarter sleeves having white cuffs. A shawl like wrap hangs over her shoulders.
    The painting is well done but too dark (old varnish) to show a lot of the details.
    It appears, judging from the canvas, to be quite old. The wood frame on which it is stretched has a somewhat tapered back sides.
    It also looks quite old.
    Can you tell me anything about this artist and whatever other information you may have on when and where he or she worked etc
    I acquired this painting quite a while ago from an estate in New York where it had been in storage for many, many years.
    Please respond to me to my e-mail address. (I can read dutch)..
    Albert