Informatie gezocht

Help Please

Gepost door Susan 
Steun de Museumserver en help ons deze dienst in de lucht te houden. Ziet u geen advertenties of blokkeert u de Adsense Cookies, overweeg dan een donatie. Dank!

• Help Please

07 september 2005 16:29
    Ik heb een portretschilderij,beetje barokstijl.
    Niet gesigneerd,achterkant is voorzien van papier.
    (het is canvas op paneel)

Achterop het papier staat :
    Biggs&sons
    Carvers and Gilders)
    Picture restorers
    3L Conduit St bond streetLondon
    Looking glasses supplied old frames regilt.

Wie kan mij hier iets over vertellen?

Vriendelijk bedankt,
    Susan

• Re: Help Please

18 december 2005 08:49
    Susan ... I hope you speak English, because I don't know what language your email is written in. It seems to me you are asking if anyone knows anything about Biggs and Sons, carvers, gilders and. picture restorers ... I just did a look-up with a couple of search engines because I purchased a wonderful, small painting at a junk shop in France of two young children kissing, and on back, there is a wonderful label from this company. I am wondering if you found out anything. I am curious as well. Thanks for putting up with my English! linda Susan schreef:

> Ik heb een portretschilderij,beetje barokstijl.
    > Niet gesigneerd,achterkant is voorzien van papier.
    > (het is canvas op paneel)
    >
    > Achterop het papier staat :
    > Biggs&sons
    > Carvers and Gilders)
    > Picture restorers
    > 3L Conduit St bond streetLondon
    > Looking glasses supplied old frames regilt.
    >
    > Wie kan mij hier iets over vertellen?
    >
    > Vriendelijk bedankt,
    > Susan
    >
  • Re: Help Please

27 februari 2008 06:38
    Ik ben net lid geworden en zag deze vraag. Beter laat dan nooit.

William Biggs, Biggs & Sons, Biggs & Son, W.H. Biggs & Co, from 1835: William Biggs (c.1797-1851) and his wife, Charlotte Elizabeth, had four sons christened at St Pancras Old Church between 1825 and 1833, including William Joseph in 1825, Alfred in 1827 and Henry in 1828, and two further sons, George c.1834, and Walter c.1835. William Biggs was listed in the 1841 census as a carver and gilder, and again in 1851 when his age was given as 54. He died later that year, leaving instructions in his lengthy will for his business to be carried on under certain conditions, and making bequests including to William Joseph Biggs.

The partnership between his widow, Charlotte Elizabeth, and their sons, William Joseph and Alfred, trading as Biggs & Sons, carver and gilder, printseller, dealer in pictures and drawings was dissolved on 1 January 1857, in so far as regards William Joseph (London Gazette 23 January 1857). William Joseph appeared before a court for insolvent debtors later that year (London Gazette 4 December 1857). In the 1881 census, William J. Biggs, age 53, was listed as an auctioneer.

Alfred Biggs was listed at 31 Conduit St in the 1861 census as a carver and gilder, employing six men and one boy; his household included his mother, Charlotte, and his two brothers George and Walter, both listed as commercial travellers. Alfred and his mother, Charlotte Elizabeth, carvers and gilders of 31 Conduit St, were subject to debt proceedings in 1868 (London Gazette 4 August 1868). In the 1871 census, both Alfred and Walter Biggs were listed in the same household as carvers and gilders.

Walter Henry Biggs advertised as W.H. Biggs, picture framemaker, established in 1795 (The Artists' Directory, 1874, p.10) and as W.H. Biggs & Co, picture restorers, picture framemakers, carvers, gilders and decorators (no author, but Charles H. Savory, The Illustrated Carver and Gilder's Guide..., 1st ed, ?1874). W.H. Biggs & Co had an account with the artists' colourmen, Roberson, 1878-82, from 7 Maddox St (Woodcock 1997). In the 1881 census, Walter H. Biggs, was listed as a fine art dealer, age 45. Walter Henry Biggs, trading as W.H. Biggs & Co, picture dealer, picture framemaker and carver and dealer, of 7 Maddox St, entered into liquidation arrangements in 1883 (London Gazette 9 January 1883). In the 1891 census he was listed as an auctioneer and valuer.